WhatsApp’s customers may move their entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa after years of requests, beta testing, and limited smartphone model compatibility.
The last time 9to5Mac reported on this, WhatsApp was beta-testing the Move to iOS app’s integration of this capability. A month after launching this functionality, the company is now making the stable version available to all users.
Here are the steps to move your chat from Android to iOS and vice versa.
- On your Android device, launch the Move to iOS app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- The iPhone will then display a code. Enter the code on your Android phone when prompted.
- Tap Continue and adhere to the on-screen instructions.
- Choose WhatsApp from the Transfer Data menu.
- Tap START on your Android device and wait for WhatsApp to export your data. Once the data is ready, you will be logged out from your Android device.
- To return to the Move to iOS app, tap NEXT.
- Tap CONTINUE to move data from your Android device to your iPhone, then wait for Move to iOS to confirm that the transfer is complete.
- Install WhatsApp’s most recent version from the App Store.
- Launch WhatsApp and log in with the same phone number as your previous device.
- When prompted, tap Start and allow the process to finish.
- Complete the activation of your new device, and your pending chats will appear.
Here are the requirements for transferring your chat history from Android to iOS or vice versa.
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or higher, or Android 5 on your Android device.
- iOS 15.5 or above must be loaded on your iPhone
- Switch to the iOS app on your Android device
- WhatsApp iOS version 184.108.40.206 or higher must be installed on your new smartphone.
- WhatsApp Android version 220.127.116.11 or higher on your previous smartphone.
- Utilize the same phone number from your previous device on the new one.
- Your iPhone must be brand new or reset to factory defaults to pair with the Move to iOS app and transfer data from your Android device.
- Both of your electronic devices must be powered.
- Both devices must be linked to the same Wi-Fi network, or you must connect your Android device to the hotspot on your iPhone.